– I lived in Rio for five years. Then moved to Paraty.
– Do you like it more than Rio?
– Of course. It’s so relaxed here…
That’s Umberto, a driver that gave us lift on the coastal road BR101. I met him again while strolling around charming evening Paraty, soaking up its music, its soft light, its slow pace.
– Francesco is a painter. He’s working now. Go, have a look at his picture.
Francesco is submerged into inspiration and creativity but gladly greets me, when I emerge at his side.
– What’s that?
– It’s a naked woman, doing “shi-shi”.
The word Parati, synonym for cachaça, gave name to the city, which grew on a trade way Caminho de Ouro (Trail of Gold). It still brings money, the trail to Paraty but for now from tourism.
One thought on “Parati: on a Trail of Gold”
I live in Sao Paulo and a few months ago went to Parati. LOVED it. I can’t wait to go back.